Monday, April 6, 2009

Carbon Fork

On One Carbon Fork
You may recall the carbon fork which showed up a couple weeks late. Well, I couldn't just let it sit there staring at me. So I slammed a new race on the fork, removed the steel fork, and installed the one you're looking at here. Speaking of "the one", it's from a company called On One, a UK company. They say their carbon fiber fork has no weight limit, a good thing given my 200+ pound butt will be riding it. It weighs about 2 pounds, a little less than the steel Salsa fork and a lot less than any suspension fork. The bike weighs about 26 pounds (pedals and all), 4 pounds lighter than my full suspension bike. That's a pretty decent weight for an XL frame 29er that's not on any kind of "weight weenie" diet. I think it's the lightest bike in the house, to tell you the truth... kids' bikes included. The ride is noticeably more muted with the carbon fork. It feels a lot like my fs bike does when the fork is locked out (which as you may know is not really 100% locked). As was the case when I first rode a carbon fiber bar, I was surprised how noticeable the difference is. With a cf fork, a cf bar, and thick grips, a long ride around Blue Marsh may just be tolerable! Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment